1. Clubs of Clubs: Fragmentation in the Network of Intergovernmental Organizations (with Brian Greenhill). Forthcoming, International Studies Quarterly (2017).
2. Explaining Human Rights Abuses: Comparing Contemporary Factors and Historical Factors. Virginia Journal of International Law (2016).
3. Do Arms Control Treaties Work? Assessing the Effectiveness of the Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty (with Matthew Fuhrmann). International Studies Quarterly (2016).
4. Why Do States Join Some Universal Treaties but not Others? An Analysis of Treaty Commitment Preferences. Journal of Conflict Resolution (2016).
5. Team of Former Rivals: A Multilateral Theory of Nonaggression Pacts (with Paul Poast). Journal of Peace Research (2016).
6. Power Sharing, Protection, and Peace (with Scott Gates, Benjamin Graham, Håvard Strand, and Kaare Strøm). Journal of Politics (2016).
7. Legislative Veto Players and the Effects of International Human Rights Agreements. American Journal of Political Science (2015).
8. Best Evidence: The Role of Information in Domestic Judicial Enforcement of International Human Rights Agreements. International Organization (2013).
9. The Informative Power of Treaty Commitment: Using the Spatial Model to Address Selection Effects. American Journal of Political Science (2013).
10. Trading Communities, the Networked Structure of International Relations and the Kantian Peace (with Vincent Traag). Journal of Conflict Resolution (2013).
11. International Judicial Legitimacy: Lessons from National Courts. Theoretical Inquiries in Law (2013).
12. Strategic Citations to Precedent on the U.S. Supreme Court (with James H. Fowler). Journal of Legal Studies (2013).
13. Still Looking for Audience Costs (with Erik Gartzke).Security Studies (2012) .
14. Trading on Preconceptions: Why World War I Was Not a Failure of Economic Interdependence (with Erik Gartzke). International Security (2012).
15. Precedent in International Courts: A Network Analysis of Case Citations by the European Court of Human Rights (with Erik Voeten). British Journal of Political Science (2012).
16. Political Science Research on International Law: The State of the Field (with Emilie M. Hafner-Burton and David G. Victor). American Journal of International Law (2012).
Work In Progress
1. The Networked Peace: Intergovernmental Organizations and International Conflict (with Brian Greenhill).
2. Collective Action and Constraints on Repression at the Endgame (with Tiberiu Dragu).
3. The Strength of Weak Review: National Courts, Interpretive Canons, and Human Rights Treaties (with Pierre-Hugues Verdier and Mila Versteeg).
4. The Relationship between the Forms of Repression and Violent Dissent (with David Carter).
5. Is There More Violence in the Middle? (with Zachary M. Jones).
6. Violence, Non-Violence, and the Effects of International Human Rights Law (with Geoffrey P.R.Wallace).
7. The Substitution Effects of International Law.
8. Does Technology Undermine Authoritarian Regimes? (with Tiberiu Dragu).
9. The Repression-Dissent Nexus and Authoritarian Signaling in International Crises (with Scott Wolford).